Monday, April 2, 2012

Goodbye daylight savings


It's beginning to feel a lot like autumn around here. At the markets on Saturday, I listened as a grower told gala apple lovers to make the most of them as they're on their way out, with fujis taking their place. I love knowing what coming and going in the apple world as biting into a floury apple will guarantee I inadvertently pull the most unattractive of faces.

Made my first apple tart tartin yesterday with a mix of granny smiths and a variety of heritage green apples, which I can't remember the name of now. I'd show you, but it's already half eaten.

I noticed even the local Woolworths supermarket has erected a big seasonal list of apple-picking seasons, which I suppose is good but I saw people buying apples the other day that even Woolworths admits must have been picked last July. Each to their own.


We're starting to close the doors on cooler evenings, which is rather nice when the house is full of fresh eucalyptus as it is at the moment as it gently scents the air.


Goodbye daylight savings. Until next year.

1 comment:

  1. I love this time of year, the other side of equinox, the air, the light has a different quality.

    ReplyDelete