Thursday, February 3, 2011

Feeling the felt

Stumbled across a great shop after dropping the Child off at school this morning. Calico & Ivy in Balmain has been open for only four weeks and I can see it's going to become a favourite haunt of mine.

Thanks to the beautiful modern vintage styling and full of fabrics from the likes of Liberty, Amy Butler and Anna Maria Horner, the best selection of craft books I've seen in one place at the one time and a large array of Rowan yarn in the most delicious, colourful shades, Calico and Ivy is a crafter's dream stop. Feels a bit like My Place in Bowral.


As I really did just find it by driving past, today was just a quick pit stop to check the place out. I did leave with a square of dark grey Heather Bailey felt for $4 (again, comes in lots of colours from jewels to naturals) to solve a little problem I'd been having with my credit cards.

Before Christmas, I'd picked up a raffia zip purse from Country Road. Exactly the right size for notes, I could also throw my phone and keys in. Only trouble was the four cards I need to have on me (have a whole other pouch for all the store cards) as they would rattle around in the purse. Not any more.

Came home, cut two lengths of felt and then sewed them together using a big, red stitch. Problem solved. Shop found. New problem created as I suspect I'll be pulling out the new credit card pouch quite often in Calico & Ivy.

No comments:

Post a Comment