Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Crochet flower pattern


Here's how to make the flowers in yesterday's post.

Don't let my wonky drawing put you off - this flower is really easy to crochet. After the initial ring, there's only two rounds.

I've put the pattern into a diagram as I find them easier to follow, but here are the backup words (as drawing isn't one of my skills).

I'm using the UK/Australian terminology because, well, I'm Australian and that's what I know. The beauty of diagrams (despite mine being far from beautiful) is that symbols are universal so the stitches are the same to US readers, but they'll just call them by another name.

Start with a 6-chain ring, using slip-stitch to join.

Round 1
Chain 3 and then do a treble into the ring. (This is your first 'spoke').

Chain 5.

I've then joined two trebles together, which I think is called a 2-treble cluster*. Whatever it's called, doing it is easy. Here's instructions for the stitch in case I've got the name of it wrong.

Commence a treble stitch as normal, ie:

yarn over hook,
hook into ring drawing through stitch (3 stitches on hook);
yarn over hook, drawing through first two stitches on hook (2 stitches on hook)
- but don't complete the treble. Instead:

With the 2 stitches still on hook:
yarn over hook,
hook into ring, drawing through stitch (4 stitches on hook);
yarn over hook, drawing through first two stiches on hook (3 stitches on hook);
yarn over hook, pull through remaining 3 stitches.

Second spoke done.

Repeat the chain 5 and 2-treble cluster/puff stitch pattern until you have 6 spokes of the flower.
Join with a slip stitch.

Round 2
Chain 1 for some height.
Then working into the next space (bordered by the 5-chain loop)
double crochet;
half treble;
5 trebles;
half treble;
double crochet.

Do the same into the next space (ignoring the initial chain), and work your way around.

I've done two sets of petals here. four to go...

Join with a slip stitch.

Which is why I like diagrams. Too many words make the whole thing look complicated, when it's actually simple.


* The only reference I could find for this stitch was in a US book, which called it a puff stitch. None of my local or UK books listed it, but when there were three trebles involved, referred to it as a 3-treble cluster. Hence I'm guessing it's called a 2-treble cluster.

4 comments:

  1. Ummmm...didn't you say this was really easy Vera?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really easy! If you can do a granny square, you can do this - and it's quicker. You need to know how to crochet, of course, as all crochet looks complicated at first, when it's actually not. Cross my heart, hope to die. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think you used way too many words. Every time I write down a pattern, I put it in the simplest terms possible. Sure wish those diagrams made sense to me. We get mostly Japanese crochet books here and if I could make heads or tails of the diagrams, I'd be buying them all up and winging my way through all sorts of patterns. I don't think I've ever heard of a "spoke" -- when I read Dutch/English translations of crochet patterns, I have to laugh -- doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Of course, although I learned to crochet about 25 years ago, I am still such a novice. Have a wonderful Wednesday. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vera, this is so much fun. I am using embroidery thread and a small hook to make some to adorn Christmas gifts. Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete