Monday, April 11, 2011

Apples of my eye


I need a lot of apples this week so I headed off to Marrickville Organic Food and Farmers Market yesterday as I discovered last weekend, thanks to a foodie neighbour, that this is where the best apples in the Inner West can be found right now. And at a brilliant price - between $4 and $4.50 a kilo depending on the variety.

I came home with over 3kg of Bonzas and Galas, which I'd popped into a big plastic carry bag at the markets. When I opened the bag at home I couldn't believe the smell. The fragrance of the fruit was so strong it smelled fake. But it wasn't. I've never smelled apples like them before and wanted to capture and bottle the aroma. But I'm no Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, fortunately.

The cake stand is my usual fruit bowl, chosen because fruit never gets squashed. Not that apples like these would be around long enough anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment