Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fleur's marmalade


Every weekend I have marmalade toast for breakfast. I love it. What I don't love is that my favourite local marmalade costs $14 a jar.

It's orange season. I have sugar. I have a recipe. So I make my own - and it's delicious.

I call it my own but it's really Fleur's marmalade, as Fleur gave me the recipe after we'd picked a bootful of oranges growing wild around Lostock, NSW, one school holidays.

Fleur's marmalade:
1kg citrus, thinly sliced
10 cups water
1.8kg sugar
  • Soak cut fruit in water overnight.
  • Transfer fruit and water to a large saucepan and boil for an hour. Reduce heat.
  • Gradually add sugar until dissolved. Increase heat and boil rapidly for 30 mins, stirring often.
The recipe says this makes 13 x 250g jars but I only ever get around 7 jars but that's probably because I like my marmalade quite sticky so cook it for a longer period.

I sterilise my jars by putting them and their lids into a 180C oven for 30mins because I don't have a microwave and can't be bothered with the boiling water method. We're still alive. Fingers crossed.

5 comments:

  1. Wow...this looks incredible! Marmalade is my favorite...I just may give it a try.
    xo jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I really should try it, as the oranges have been really nice lately. I also have a whole cupboard of empty jars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I love marmalade on toast with halloumi cheese. A nice balance of sweet and salty. I've always been afraid to can anything because of the sterilization part of it. :/ Have a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish! Thanks for the recipe - given my lack of prowess in the kitchen, I might have to convince my husband that, since he loves his marmalade, it's up to him! My nan made marmalade very year - your picture reminds me of her :) Thankyou! Stephie x

    PS Glad to hear you haven't bumped anyone off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make this sound seriously possible. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete