Friday, July 22, 2011

Wet weekend


Living in Sydney is like living under a shower you can't turn off at the moment. It's rained solidly for three days and is set to rain again tomorrow. So this weekend will be spent indoors as much as possible and in front of the fire.

House has been cleaned (well, most of it) and mantelpieces prepped with candles and eucalyptus bunches and there's a pile of crochet throw rugs on the couch.


Of course, there's a school event at the crack of dawn on Sunday so have my trusty raincoat and gumboots at the ready. I bought this raincoat in Ireland a couple of years ago and could have made a small fortune by now if I'd brought a container-load home with me as I'm always asked where I got it when out and about. Avoca is the answer, which doesn't help as it's an Irish company. Clearly, the Irish understand weather.


I wish I had a mini one to offer my window dove as her nest is soaked. Every now and then she gets up and shakes herself like a dog and droplets fly everywhere. It's a bird's life...

10 comments:

  1. here too ... in Europe .. in the midst of summer we have pooring rain for days !!!!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes - rain rain rain! I feel like my house is just about to get washed down the hill.
    I love that raincoat too. All I can find here are boring solid neutral colours. I would love a pretty one like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was about to ask about THE raincoat too - its divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it does stop raining for a while at least this weekend for all of you Sydneysiders. It is pretty dry up here this week but it has been a wetter than normal winter for us too. Poor dove..it doesn't have any couch to laze on with lovely soft crocheted rugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We hardly ever get rain here and when we do it makes such a mess. That poor little dove. We don't think about our feathered friends when the storms rage. What they must go through. She sure is protecting that nest. Have a wonderful weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh love those eucalyptus branches. We have them in Canada... at the florist shop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had enough of the rain for now too and I don't have an uber cool raincoat to get around in so that makes it even worse! Still, I am not a dove so I should stop complaining.

    I love the sticks tied in bundles near the fire - lovely.

    Have a great weekend and enjoy your early Sunday morning (better you than me), Stephie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your visit. I am glad I am not the only who had problems with the granny square. When I figured it out the other day, I thought how ridiculously easy it was and how awfully difficult those other patterns were. I'm ready to start a giant granny using up all the leftover yarn I've got around here. :) Hope you are having a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, need to get myself a raincoat and gumboots! The other day I got absolutely drenched putting the three boys into the car... the pram actually started collecting water!
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like the perfect weekend to me. I hope that it panned out just as you planned. Your raincoat is rather smart and I did have a bit of a google to look at that brand which led me to all sorts of interesting things so thanks for that. T x

    ReplyDelete