Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Blooming marvellous


More than a month ago I made The Husband stop his car as I'd seen some branches by the side of the road that I wanted to bring home. He wasn't particularly happy about it as he's a bit precious about his little French car, but I insisted.

I dragged them down our hallway, not caring I was scraping the walls as I went much to The Husband's and Child's amazement, and then cut them to size. Shortly after I used the branches in a previous post to display some crochet and then did nothing but occasionally change the water.

Much to our surprise, the branches, or sticks as the rest of the family refers to them, have bloomed at the same rate as the trees outside. The flowers and leaves are starting to get a bit droopy now but I'm wondering what the rest of the buds will do.

We'll see.

If you're reading this...
Kylie, thanks so much for yesterday's plant identification. I'm seriously considering growing the Orange Trumpet Creeper over our back fence.

3 comments:

  1. How beautiful.

    I had a similar experience with a magnolia branch, it was broken off in a storm so I put it in a vase and one day the buds suddenly opened up and had miniature magnolia flowers it.

    Enjoy your living art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly, there is no better creeper for a back fence Vera...do it! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty corner! And how lovely that your twiggy branches have bloomed. Once I brought home branches that were used in a flower arrangement sent to the Elementary office of the school I work at. I was very surprised when one day weeks later it started to bloom -- but I forgot to keep putting water in the vase, so it dried out. I still use it to display different little decorations for the holidays. Hope you are having a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete