Friday, August 26, 2011

Japanese sack


My sack is almost finished. The only thing to do is hem it, which I haven't done as I like the length it is unhemmed so am deciding if I'll add a strip of contrasting fabric or just do the tiniest hem possible.


It was way too big at first. So I unpicked the neckline bias and shoulder seams and then cut the side seams plus quite a bit extra straight off. The pattern basically discarded by now, I also hacked into the front armholes to give a little more shape.

Not sure I'd make this dress again as, while I like a loose-cut fit I think this has so little shape that it's unflattering - on me, anyway. I think having my hands behind my back in the shot above is a bit misleading as I didn't realise doing that was pulling some of the fabric out of shot.

Bit of pondering to do, I think, before parting with $100 for two metres of Liberty print.

Though the weather is really warming up now so I'm thinking a pretty Liberty beach sack wouldn't go astray this summer.




5 comments:

  1. i think it looks nice vera..loose fitting 'sacks' are very welcome in the summer where i live! i cannot stand for a garment to be snug and i'm always tugging at the tops ive got which are shirred. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks rather nice. Maybe with a little cardigan it wouldn't feel so baggy. I haven't worn a dress in years and years. I taught kindergarten for 7 years and was always crawling around on the floor with the kids so dressed and skirts was out of the question and just got out of the habit of them. My 12 year old even asked me yesterday why I never wear dresses. :/ Hope your day is great. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor you. It is horrible to make something and feel so disappointed. I think your cutting has done wonders though as it looks as if you have managed to give the dress some shape through the bust and waist. The fabric is pretty, so perhaps you will feel better about the dress as the weather warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must be disappointing, not liking your sack. You do look really nice in that photo though. Could you belt it to give it a bit more shape?
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete